Monday, February 22, 2010

SOPHIES CHOICE (1982)

The first thing my husband David said when he watched about 12 seconds of this film was "This woman is a chameleon! She can do anything!" I said "I know, she even laughs with an accent!" This movie won Streep an academy award for Best Actress. Undeniably because she transforms her self into a scared polish woman who has so much baggage from her "choice" she made during the holocaust, which later we learn is her decision to choose between which of her children would live under force of a Nazi. She delivers a vulnerable performance that leaves no room for improvement. Of course Kevin Kliene her costar and brilliant actor himself portrays a schizophrenic and together they form this sad love story. This is a movie I won't see again for a while simply because of it's weight. It's heaviness. I loved it. I was mesmerized the whole time, but it was a downer and is one to be appreciated. studied. remembered, more than watched over and over. lovely lovely film.

No comments:

Post a Comment