Thursday, December 17, 2009

Holocaust

This miniseries was intense. I'm not gonna lie I was not looking forward to this one but then it ended up being quite captivating. Disturbing, awful, and heartbreaking of course, but captivating. This Mini was broken up into 5 parts all around 2 hours. It was long! which is partially why this has taken so long too. Meryl won a prime time Emmy for outstanding lead actress in a mini series. Having aired in 1978, Deer Hunter actually didn't come out in theaters until after this program. Of course after mourning the death of her fiance she performed in The Seduction of Joe Tynan (1979) with Alan Alda, later commenting that she played it on "automatic pilot". Understandably of course. I couldn't get a hold of this film anywhere. So it'll have to wait for now. Manhattan is the next film and wouldn't you know it, I already watched it. Because Holocaust took 3 different DVD's to watch it and Netfilx sends only one at a time, I watched Manhattan in between. I'll talk about that after. Holocaust really started to show off Meryl's acting shops a bit more I think. There's a scene where she's running after the car that's taking her husband away to be tortured and she's crying and screaming because she has already gone through so much just to see him again for the first time in years! She plays an Arian girl married to a Jewish man (James Woods) so you can see how the conflict might ensue. This movie really made me think. I'm dumbfounded by the logic the Germans used to justify there actions. absolute madness. Meryl was quoted saying this project was "unrelentingly noble", and had taken the role only because she had needed money. Do I recommend this...I say watch it once. soak it in. and then never look back. Learn from it, don't dwell on it.

Jaclyn Lassetter

No comments:

Post a Comment