Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Deer Hunter......

Ok, this movie took completely off guard! I was expecting a movie about some deer hunters. Boy was I wrong! I'll be honest. The first 45 minutes of the movie were slow and I was starting to get a little annoyed even but then the second half where the buddies are in Vietnam..... whoa It was none stop intense until the finish. I started watching the movie laying down in my bed and then by the end of it, I was on the edge of my bed closest to the TV screen with my hands clutching my face. The Russian Roulette scenes killed me! I totally see how this won best picture. I can't even begin to describe the terror I felt at times and honest yearning to hug some of these characters. Christopher Walken did a stand out performance and earned a well deserved academy award for best supporting actor. Robert De Niro did equally as stellar and it's fun to see him so young! He's actually quite handsome. And finally our leading lady Meryl Streep. It's hard to ever criticize her so...I wont. She looked young, beautiful, and played her role well. I was mostly focused on how she could handle shooting all day when her Fiance was suffering so much during this time. For those that don't know, this was John Cazale's last film. The Director shot all of his scenes first and he unfortunately passed away before Deer Hunter was finished. Meryl was very devoted and loving all through his sickness. He had terminal bone cancer. She even stated once that the role wasn't even all that interesting to her, they just needed a girl to between the two guys and she was it. Mostly I'm sure she liked that she could be on set with him.
So to rap it up I say this is a classic. A ruff one to watch tough, I don't imagine I will watch it again for a long time. Brovo to an excellent cast, directing, and writing.

Jaclyn Lassetter

p.s. Next up: Holocaust (a miniseries)

No comments:

Post a Comment